Your privacy is important to us. We want to ensure that we’re as transparent as possible in informing all our supporters how we capture data, store it, and most importantly, use it.
RIMERN is committed to protecting and securing the privacy and confidentiality of your personal information. If you have any questions, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
RIMERN is bound by the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (the “Privacy Act”) and the privacy provisions of other applicable legislation. RIMERN must adhere to the Australian Privacy Principles in relation to collecting, holding, using, disclosing, securing, and allowing access to your personal information.
Your personal information
Personal information is information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable:
- whether the information is true or not; and
- whether the information or opinion is recorded in a material form or not.
The kinds of personal information collected by RIMERN may (but does not always) include:
- the names, contact information of our potential, current, previous, and rejected service providers;
- generic and non-identifiable information of recipients of RIMERN goods and/or services;
- the names, contact information (e.g., mailing address, phone number and email address), date of birth, and financial information (e.g., bank account or credit card details) of our donors;
- details of donors’ donation history, emails, letters and other interactions with RIMERN;
- the names, contact information, and personal history (such as employment history or background checks) of potential staff or volunteers; or
- the names and email addresses of persons who subscribe to our emails.
We may also collect and hold sensitive information of our staff, Board members, volunteers, or prospective staff/volunteers, including completed government checks.
How we collect personal information
RIMERN usually collects your personal information directly from you when you provide it through our website, over the phone, by email, through an online form to RIMERN.
If someone donates on your behalf, and asks that you receive information about their gift, we will collect the personal information they provide about you.
When it is necessary to collect your personal information, including from a third party, we will take such steps as are reasonable in the circumstances to ensure that you are notified in compliance with the Privacy Act.
RIMERN will not collect, hold, use or disclose sensitive information about you unless you give us your consent to do so, or where required by law.
If you wish, you can remain anonymous or use a pseudonym when you contact us and/or if you donate. We will respect your anonymity. If you choose not to provide us with your personal information, we may not, for example, be able to provide you with an official tax-deductible receipt or a letter of thanks or assist you fully with your query or complaint.
How we store personal information
RIMERN will take all reasonable steps to ensure that your personal information is secure.
RIMERN will de-identify your personal information when we no longer need it for the purpose for which it was collected unless the law requires otherwise. If you send us your personal information when we don’t request it, we will determine whether the information is related to one or more of our activities. If the information is not relevant to what we do, we will destroy or de-identify the personal information if it is lawful and reasonable to do so.
How we use your personal information
We use your personal information to carry out our charitable activities. For example, we use your personal information to:
- send to you information about RIMERN including newsletters and updates;
- update you if we have information that may affect how we provide our services;
- confirm who you are when you contact us;
- keep you informed about our work including by mail, email, SMS or telephone;
- process any donations you may send to us;
- circulating questionnaires to improve our services; and
- report on our activities including producing governance reporting as needed.
If you wish to opt out of communications you are currently receiving, use any of the clear links that we provide in all our digital communication or email info@RIMERN.org.au.
Disclosing your Information
We respect that ‘who’ we share your information with is important to you. In no instances do we sell your information onto other third parties.
RIMERN will only use and disclose your personal information in accordance with the Privacy Act and the Australian Privacy Principles. This may include:
• where use or disclosure is required by law;
• where we have your consent to the use or disclosure of information; or
• for the purpose for which it was collected or related purposes, that you would reasonably expect RIMERN to use or disclose that personal information.
RIMERN will not disclose information about you to any other individuals or organisations unless it is required to provide a apart from with our own service providers if needed.
RIMERN may also use and disclose your personal information to overseas providers such as cloud service providers. Before we send your personal information overseas, we will take reasonable steps to ensure that the recipient will not breach the Australian Privacy Principles, including contractual obligations to treat your personal information in substantially the same way as required under the Australian Privacy Principles.
For any other circumstances where we need to disclose your personal information overseas, we will expressly inform you of the disclosure and obtain your consent.
Help us keep your information accurate
RIMERN aims to ensure that the personal information we hold about you is accurate, complete, up-to-date, relevant, and not misleading; however, the accuracy of this information is largely dependent on the information you provide. To assist us with this, please contact us if you are aware of any changes required to your personal information.
Even if you don’t contact us, if we are satisfied that, having regard to the reasons for which we hold your personal information, that personal information is inaccurate, incomplete, out-of-date, irrelevant, or misleading, we may take reasonable steps to correct that information.
You can access your information
You have a right to access, update and correct personal information that RIMERN holds about you.
Requests for access to personal information should be made by email at email@example.com.
Before providing access to or correcting your personal information, we may also require you to verify your identity. In the unlikely event that we are unable to provide you with access to your personal information, we will provide you with written reasons for denying access.
Enquiries and complaints
We want to hear from you. Enquiries or concerns about privacy matters, including complaints about how RIMERN handles personal information and concerns that RIMERN has breached the Australian Privacy Principles, should be made in writing as detailed below under [Contacting us]. RIMERN will respond to all enquiries as quickly as possible.
If you would prefer to deal with us anonymously, you are not required to provide your personal information to us unless we are required by law to deal with individuals who have identified themselves or it is impractical for us to deal with individuals who have not identified themselves.
If you are not satisfied with how we have handled your matter, you may wish to contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.
If you wish to make a complaint about our privacy practices, please submit a written complaint by email or post to our details under [Contacting us].
Please contact us if:
- you would like to know what personal information RIMERN holds about you and how you can gain access to it, or you would like to correct or update it; or
- you believe that your privacy has been breached, or if you believe that RIMERN has breached the Australian Privacy Principles or the Privacy Act, and you wish to make a complaint.
You may contact us by: